How do creatives find careers post-pandemic?

Taking your next step in the post-pandemic workforce is an adventure best started with momentum.

Related: Finding Opportunities

"Once there's motion, once you're in front of people, opportunity does present itself. It might not be the opportunity you think you want, but it will, something will happen again."

Full Episode

Your next opportunity will likely not come through more time spent watching Netflix. There are many ways to build momentum right where you are. Here are some examples of momentum-generators:

• Become a coach for other creatives
  • Become a mentor for other creatives
  • Create videos/designs/graphics/audio
  • Write your thoughts or a blog
  • Develop a podcast, radio show, or TV show.
  • and/or bring your creativity to uncommon roles

There are many creative and uncommon job titles like an accountant, technician, dentist, coach, and so on, which artists can learn how to do and start doing. The point is to find something that gets your creative juices flowing and that you’re passionate about.

"The point is to find something that gets your creative juices flowing and that you're passionate about."

Identify Your Creative “Hot Spots”

(i.e., new areas of interest, collaborations, or opportunities you’d like to pursue)

Try taking a fresh, different approach to your creativity. To do so, spend about 10 percent of your time on projects you find exciting. Consider these things to start:

• Brainstorming new ideas
  • Deciding on new projects
  • Putting all the pieces together and seeing the result

Take advantage of both the “work” and “play” parts of your creative life.

We typically don’t allow ourselves to be creative when it comes to what we’re paid to do. I mean, maybe you take the occasional photography class or make some friends you can play with to feel creative, but most of the time, we operate as if the work part of our lives is the only important part. But while work is essential, as artists, creative people, and human beings, we need to make time for both aspects of our lives. It would help if you did this by planning your daily and weekly schedule, figuring out what you want to be creative about, and then creating flexible deadlines for yourself so that you’re continually working on new projects and exploring your interests, hobbies, and inspirations.

Create a system for getting enough sleep and exercise

I’ll admit, this may be the most “attainable” part of this list. But also, it’s by far the most important. I know it seems like you can’t find time for these activities when you’re so busy working, but the opposite is also true. You can make more time by working less. And you can only do that by establishing habits. Set a regular schedule so you can be more focused and productive. Set “goals” to motivate you (think simple and measurable tasks like “I want to write two blog posts this week”) and find time for exercise and sleep – the key is to balance your energy.

Play music (at least for 20 minutes, twice a week)

At the very least, I’d like to say that every artist or creative person should always have a guitar or a microphone in their home, and you should feel like you can pick up an instrument and play it in a heartbeat. That’s because I’m not sure I can think of a more engaging and inspiring way to spend your time.